Be Well: Winter Resources and Tips for Cold Weather Assistance

Be Well Health Tips - February 2nd, 2023

Reading Time: 3 Minute/s

Be Well Health Tips

Be Well: Winter Resources and Tips for Cold Weather Assistance

Posted on February 2nd, 2023 - Reading Time: 3 Minute/s

The cost of everything from gas to groceries to heating seems to keep going up at a time when money might already be tight. So, it’s no surprise that this winter will be financially difficult on many of us and our families.

Don’t fret. Community Health Plan of Washington (CHPW) is here to help. We have compiled a list of resources for assistance with your utility bill, rent and shelter, groceries, warm clothing and more.

Heating bill

Get help with your home energy bill from the U.S. government. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to help with:

  • Assistance to pay your heating (or cooling) bills
  • Emergency services in cases of energy crisis, such as utility shutoffs
  • Low-cost home improvements, known as weatherization, that make your home more energy efficient and lower your utility bills.
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Check to see if you are eligible for LIHEAP. You could also check Energy Assistance Programs through your local utility company.

Rent and shelter

Rental Assistance

Use this government website to look for rental assistance in your area. (Chose Washington in the search bar.)  If you cannot find any programs in your area, call 2-1-1 or your local housing authority for assistance.

Emergency Cash Assistance

Some cities and nonprofits like Jewish Family Services, Salvation Army and Catholic Community Services offer emergency cash assistance.

Local Warming Shelter

For local warming shelter information and help if you are experiencing homelessness call 2-1-1.

Food and groceries

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Also known as food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides temporary cash for needy families and pregnant women who meet the eligibility criteria. You can apply for TANF program online, by phone at 877-501-2233, or at your local Community Services Office.

Diversion Cash Assistance (DCA)

For families who have a short-term need and do not wish to receive TANF there is the Diversion Cash Assistance (DCA) program. You can apply for Diversion Cash Assistance online or at your local Community Services Office.

Local Food Bank

Find your local food bank map from the Washington State Department of Agriculture.

Warm clothing

Jewish Family Services, Salvation Army and Washington state Catholic Charities (Catholic Community Services of Western Washington, Catholic Charities of Central Washington and Catholic Charities of Eastern Washington) offer warm clothing. For a list of other places offering warm clothes see the counties below.

Stay connected

  • The Affordable Connectivity Program helps many low-income households pay for broadband service and Internet connected devices.
  • Stay connected with a free cellphone plan.
  • Need help getting a free smartphone or using the Internet to do things like refilling your prescriptions or setting up a video call with your doctor? Visit Link to Care WA or call their hotline at 866-757-1832 (TTY: 711) to talk to a real person.
Did you know

Did you know?

Amazon allows Prime members to use their EBT cards to purchase eligible items both through their Fresh grocery delivery service as well as their main site. To learn more, take a look at Amazon’s guide on how to pay with SNAP EBT.


If you are a CHPW member and have questions, call our Customer Service at 1-800-440-1561 (TTY: 711), 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our team is here to support your whole health.

Comments are closed.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.