If you’re one of those lucky parents whose kids love vegetables, we are all very jealous of you. If you’re like the rest of us, you know how hard it is to make sure kids are eating enough healthy food.
There are lots ways to get your kids more interested in vegetables. One of the best ways is to show them veggies are good by eating them yourself. Kids will be more excited if they can pick out vegetables at the store or help cook.
When all else fails, you can sneak vegetables into favorite foods. Picky eaters won’t even notice they are there!
Ways to get kids excited about vegetables.
- Add to favorite foods
- Add peas, finely chopped tomato, or small pieces of broccoli to macaroni and cheese
- Add small pieces of spinach or sweet pepper to pizza.
- Add avocado or tomato to grilled cheese.
- Add corn, sweet pepper, or cooked onion to quesadillas.
- Add shredded veggies to meatloaf, meatballs or sloppy joes
- Make it a game
- Kids might not eat vegetables, but dinosaurs do!
- Have fun
- Arrange vegetables in fun shapes on the plate.
- Surprise them with bright green mashed potatoes (thanks spinach!)
- Make it a party with dips for raw veggies, homemade salsa, or guacamole
- Make “Fries” or “Chips”
- Lots of vegetables can be sliced and baked to become “fries” or “chips.”
- Add yummy flavors like garlic or parmesan cheese.
- Try this with sweet potatoes, carrots, and kale
- Cheese and butter are your friends
- Kids can handle a few more calories if it gets them used to vegetables.
- Cheesy broccoli, cheesy spinach, buttery carrots are all good for kids.
How to sneak veggies into food when kids refuse to eat them:
Blending vegetables will help you add them to lots of foods. You can pick up a used blender at Goodwill for not too much money.
- Hide blended cauliflower, sweet potato or summer squash in macaroni and cheese
- Blend vegetables like carrots into spaghetti sauce
- Baked goods: Zucchini and carrots can hide in bread, cake, and muffins. Chocolate brownies can hide beets and spinach. You can make a tasty chocolate pudding with creamy avocado.
- Smoothies and popsicles: Blend spinach in with fresh fruit for a smoothie or home-made popsicles. They will only taste the fruit.